Mozzarella sticks are deep-fried mozzarella cheese sticks served as an appetizer or snack. A dipping sauce, such as ranch dressing, barbecue sauce, or marinara sauce, is usually served with them.
It is popular around the world, including in the United States. In restaurants, bars, and at sporting events, they are often served. It is also possible to make mozzarella sticks at home, but it can be challenging to get them perfectly crisp without overcooking them.
A delicious and cheesy snack food, mozzarella sticks are perfect for sharing. Additionally, they contain calcium and protein. Although mozzarella sticks are high in fat and calories, they should be consumed in moderation.
This article will explore how many calories are in mozzarella sticks with recipe.
What is Mozzarella Sticks?
A mozzarella stick is a popular finger food made from mozzarella cheese coated in a crispy breadcrumb or batter coating, then deep-fried or baked until golden and oozing with melted cheese. In most cases, marinara sauce is served with them or other dipping sauces
How Many Calories Are in Mozzarella Sticks
In mozzarella sticks, calories vary depending on the brand, serving size, and cooking method. Around 200 calories are contained in a typical serving of 6 mozzarella sticks.
The following are the calories in mozzarella sticks from different brands:
- Farm Rich Mozzarella Sticks: 210 calories per serving
- Anchor Battered Mozzarella Cheese Sticks: 190 calories per serving
- Big C Battered Thick Cut Mozzarella Sticks: 230 calories per serving
- Fred’s Battered Cheese Sticks: 220 calories per serving
- McDonald’s Mozzarella Sticks: 280 calories per serving
- Burger King Mozzarella Sticks: 290 calories per serving
How Many Calories Are in Mozzarella Sticks Mcdonald’s
A serving of 3 McDonald’s mozzarella sticks contains 280 calories. The information is taken from McDonald’s website. McDonald’s mozzarella sticks have the following nutritional information:
- Calories: 280
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 280mg
- Sodium: 1840mg
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 9g
How Many Calories in Burger King Mozzarella Sticks
A serving of 4 mozzarella sticks from Burger King contains 290 calories. Burger King mozzarella sticks have the following nutritional information:
- Calories: 290
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 820mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 25g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 12g
Calories in Fried Mozzarella Sticks
There are approximately 270 calories in one serving of four fried mozzarella sticks. The nutritional information is based on farm rich and anchor mozzarella sticks, two popular brands. Depending on the brand, the serving size, and the cooking method, fried mozzarella sticks can vary in calorie content.
Some brands of fried mozzarella sticks, for example, are coated in thicker breading, which adds calories and fat. It is possible for some brands to use a lighter breading or even no breading at all. Furthermore, some brands may fry their mozzarella sticks in vegetable oil, while others may use olive oil, which has fewer calories.
How Many Calories Are in One Cheese Stick?
According to the USDA Food Composition Database, one cheese stick contains 85 calories. A standard mozzarella cheese stick weighs 1 ounce (28 grams).
Although cheese sticks may vary in calorie content depending on the brand, cheese type, and cooking method, it is important to keep in mind that they can also vary in fat content. Cheese sticks that are breaded and fried will have a higher calorie content than cheese sticks that are baked or air-fried.
The following is a list of different cheese sticks and their calorie content:
- Mozzarella cheese stick: 85 calories per stick
- Cheddar cheese stick: 90 calories per stick
- American cheese stick: 80 calories per stick
- Breaded and fried mozzarella cheese stick: 120 calories per stick
- Baked or air-fried mozzarella cheese stick: 70 calories per stick
Mozzarella Cheese Stick Protein
Once you know how many calories are in mozzarella sticks you should know about the protein content. According to the USDA Food Composition Database, one mozzarella cheese stick contains 6.3 grams of protein. An average mozzarella cheese stick weighs 1 ounce (28 grams).
Among macronutrients, protein plays an important role in building and repairing muscle tissue. Additionally, it contributes to the production of hormones and enzymes, as well as to the strength of the immune system.
In addition to being a good source of protein, mozzarella cheese is also high in saturated fat and sodium. Consider a cheese variety with less fat or sodium if you’re watching your weight or calorie intake.
Carbs in Mozzarella Sticks
According to the USDA Food Composition Database, mozzarella cheese sticks contain 12 grams of carbohydrates. An ounce (28 grams) mozzarella cheese stick is considered a standard serving size. Carbohydrates are the body’s primary energy source. After breaking down into glucose, they can be used for energy or stored as fat for later use.
The breading and cooking methods can add additional carbohydrates to mozzarella cheese, even though it is a relatively low-carb food. The carbohydrate content of breaded or fried mozzarella cheese sticks, for instance, will be higher than the carbohydrate content of baked or air-fried mozzarella cheese sticks.
Are Mozzarella Sticks High In Calories?
Yes, mozzarella sticks are generally thought to be high in calories. It contains around 200 calories per serving to eat six mozzarella sticks. Because they are typically breaded and fried, they add additional calories and fat. Moreover, mozzarella cheese itself contains around 85 calories per stick, making it a high-calorie food.
Whenever you eat mozzarella sticks, be mindful of your portion size if you want to keep your calorie intake under control. If you want to reduce the calories and fat content of these items, you may also want to consider baking or airfrying them at home.
Are Mozzarella Sticks Bad For You?
Mozzarella sticks aren’t necessarily bad for you, but try to eat them in moderation as part of a balanced diet. When they’re breaded and fried, they can also be high in carbohydrates and saturated fat.
Your cholesterol levels can rise if you eat saturated fat and sodium. It’s also harmful to consume too many carbohydrates, especially if you’re diabetic or have other health issues.
However, mozzarella sticks also contain calcium and protein, which are important nutrients. You can reduce their calorie and fat content by baking or air-frying them instead of frying them in oil.
It’s important to eat mozzarella sticks in moderation with other healthy foods, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
Can Eat Mozzarella Sticks on Keto?
Keto allows you to eat mozzarella sticks, but there are some modifications you need to make. The traditional mozzarella sticks are breaded and fried, which increases their carbohydrate and calorie content. Make keto mozzarella sticks by breading them in almond flour or pork rinds, then baking or air-frying them instead of frying them in oil.
Are Mozzarella Sticks Gluten-Free?
After knowing how many calories are in mozzarella sticks a question raise it is gluten free. All mozzarella sticks aren’t gluten-free. Some mozzarella sticks are breaded with gluten-containing flour, like wheat flour or barley flour. It’s possible that others are fried in gluten-contaminated oil. If you’re gluten-free, check the label before eating mozzarella sticks. Gluten-free mozzarella sticks are now available from a lot of brands. Gluten-free flour and bread crumbs can also be used to make your own gluten-free mozzarella sticks.
Are Mozzarella Sticks Healthy
A healthy diet can include mozzarella sticks, but they should be consumed in moderation. In addition to being high in calories, saturated fats, and sodium, they can also be high in carbohydrates if they are breaded and fried.
Additionally, mozzarella sticks contain calcium and protein, which are essential nutrients for good health. If you bake or air-fry them instead of frying them in oil, you can reduce their calories and fat content.
How to Make Mozzarella Sticks Without Bread Crumbs
After knowing how many calories are in mozzarella sticks let’s take a look on recipe. If you want to make mozzarella sticks without bread crumbs, you can do the following:
- Use crushed pork rinds. Low-carb pork rinds can be used in place of bread crumbs in keto-friendly recipes. Using a food processor or blender, crush pork rinds until they’re fine powder. You can then bake or air fry your mozzarella sticks after coating them in pork rind powder.
- Use almond flour. Alternatively to breadcrumbs, almond flour is another low-carb, keto-friendly option. The best way to coat mozzarella sticks in almond flour is to dip them in beaten egg, then roll them in the almond flour.
- Use a mixture of almond flour and pork rinds. For the best of both worlds, you can bread your mozzarella sticks with almond flour and pork rinds. In a shallow dish, combine almond flour and pork rinds equally. Then dip the mozzarella sticks in the egg, then roll them in the almond flour and pork rind mixture.
- Use panko bread crumbs. Panko breadcrumbs are lighter and more airy than traditional breadcrumbs. It makes them an excellent option for people who wish to reduce their calorie and carb intake. Panko bread crumbs can be coated on mozzarella sticks by dipping them in beaten eggs then rolling them in them.
- Use crushed nuts. You can also coat mozzarella sticks with crushed nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, or almonds. You can powder the nuts in a food processor or blender by pulsing them. You can then bake or air fry the mozzarella sticks after coating them with the nut powder.