Deviled eggs are delicious and surprisingly healthy, a classic party appetizer. These bite-sized treats are made from boiled eggs, blended with a mixture of yolk, mayonnaise, mustard, and various spices, making them a savory and flavorful indulgence.
This comprehensive guide will explore how many calories are in a deviled egg, the nutritional information of deviled eggs, including their potential health benefits and considerations when enjoying this classic treat.
How Many Calories Are In A Deviled Egg?
Deviled eggs are typically made from half a boiled egg, so one whole egg makes two. On average, one deviled egg contains approximately 80 to 100 calories, depending on the ingredients it’s made with. These calories are comprised of the following components:
- Egg White: Egg whites are higher in protein and lower in calories than yolks. Around 17 calories are contained in one egg white on average.
- Egg Yolk: Deviled eggs get most of their calories from the yolk. The fruit contains essential nutrients such as fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K), choline, and minerals. The average egg yolk contains between 55 and 60 calories.
- Mayonnaise: The mayonnaise used in the filling adds creaminess and richness to the deviled egg. However, it also increases the caloric content due to its fat content. One tablespoon of mayonnaise typically adds around 90 calories to the deviled egg.
- Mustard and Spices: In the filling, mustard and spices add very few calories.
Nutritional Benefits of Deviled Eggs:
If you know how many calories are in a deviled egg, you can assess its nutritional benefits. Deviled eggs have many nutritional benefits even though they are relatively high in calories due to egg yolks and mayonnaise:
- Protein: Eggs provide the body with every essential amino acid, making them an excellent source of protein. Deviled eggs contain between 3 and 4 grams of protein.
- Healthy Fats: Deviled eggs contain many calories, but their fats are predominantly unsaturated, which is good for your heart if consumed moderately.
- Choline: Egg yolks contain high levels of choline, which is essential for brain function, nerve function, and liver function.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Several vitamins and minerals are found in deviled eggs, including vitamins A, D, E, and K. They also contain iron, selenium, and phosphorus.
Tips For A Healthier Deviled Egg:
After knowing how many calories are in a deviled egg, some tips help you maintain a healthy calorie intake. Here are a few tips for making deviled eggs with a healthier twist if you’re looking to make them at home:
- Use Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt can be substituted for some or all of the mayonnaise in the recipe to decrease the fat while maintaining the creamy texture.
- Add Vegetables: You can add finely chopped vegetables such as bell peppers, celery, or chives into the filling to give it an extra punch of nutrients and color.
- Reduce Salt: If you want to reduce sodium intake, you should reduce salt or use alternative seasonings.
- Choose Whole-Grain Mustard: When looking for a creamy texture and a fiber boost, opt for whole-grain mustard instead of traditional yellow mustard.
Moderation is the key to enjoying deviled eggs as a balanced diet. Egg yolks and mayonnaise may increase their calories but also provide essential nutrients. By being mindful of how many calories are in a deviled egg and portion sizes and making healthier ingredient choices, you can enjoy the deliciousness of deviled eggs while maintaining a healthy diet. So, the next time you indulge in this classic appetizer, you’ll know exactly how many calories and nutrients you’re savoring.
Do you know how many calories are in a deviled egg?
Deviled eggs typically contain 70 to 100 calories per serving. Various factors may affect the exact number, including the size of the egg or the proportions of ingredients in the yolk mixture.
Are deviled eggs' calorie counts affected by their filling?
Deviled eggs have a variable calorie content based on the ingredients in the yolk mixture. If topped with more mayonnaise or high-calorie toppings, deviled eggs may contain more calories.
Are there any low-calorie variations of deviled eggs?
By substituting ingredients, you can create low-calorie deviled egg variations. You can reduce the overall calorie content of your meal by replacing mayonnaise with Greek yogurt or reducing the amount of high-calorie toppings.
What's the calorie count of deviled eggs at a party or restaurant?
Deviled eggs can be difficult to calculate calories outside of a home-cooked setting. Ask the host or restaurant for ingredient details to get a more accurate estimate. Deviled eggs' standard ingredients can be used as a basis for an online calorie calculator.
What are the calorie considerations for consuming deviled eggs?
Deviled eggs are a healthy snack but can be high in calories. Moderation is crucial when you are on a calorie-restricted diet or trying to lose weight. When eating calorie-dense foods at a meal or party, consider portion control and avoid consuming excessive amounts.